Castlevania: Prelude of Chaos
A downloadable game for Windows
Castlevania: Prelude of Chaos is a love letter to the old games from the 8-bit era and especially Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. It is an original adventure game where you play Alexis Belmont in his quest for destroying Dracula. Travel the land to defeat Dracula's army of fiends, upgrade your whip, buy weapons and spells to progress through your adventure.
The game is playable with a keyboard as well as a gamepad (anything that is SDL compatible)
- Arrows: move player, move UI cursor
- X: jump
- C: attack, talk to NPCs.
- C + Up: use auxiliary weapon
- Up: enter doors
- Enter: validate menus
- Escape: triggers the start menu. You can then switch your auxiliary weapon with left and right
- F: Toggle fullscreen
- B: Toggle blur mode
- S: Change color set
GamePad (assuming XBox-like controls)
- Left Stick or DPad: move player, move UI cursor
- A: jump, validate menus
- X: attack, talk to NPCs.
- X + Up: use auxiliary weapon
- Up: enter doors
- Start: triggers the start menu. You can then switch your auxiliary weapon with left and right
About this port: In September 2007, I published on ticalc.org the original game that I made for the Texas Instrument calculators TI-82, TI-83 and TI-83+. It was a raw game programmed in Z80 assembly language that took me about a year and a half to make in my spare time (I was a math student then). More than 12 years later, in March 2020, I decided to have a little fun and port it to PC. This is not just a simple port though, the game has been enhanced in many ways! It now includes:
- a support for gamepad & keyboard
- a new kickass soundtrack inspired by the NES era
- a few tweaks on gameplay mechanics (enemies do not respawn anymore, breakable tiles are visually different, some levels have been patched)
- a complete rewriting of all texts for better clarity
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.